MIS: Management Information System
A management information system is a computerized study of people, technology, organization and relationship. Firms uses MIS professionals to calculate the benefits from investment in personnel, equipment and business processes. It is a people-oriented field and uses computer systems and technology to manage and analyze data so it provides correct results. MIS is used in major companies for preparing databases of customers and other information.
MIS professionals are technically proficient and focus on business process and information technology. They try to maximize the benefits from investment. They can choose the following career options:
- IT consultants
- Business Analysts
- System Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Application Developer
- System Developer
- Information System Manager etc.
There are different area of concentration for MIS officers with different duties in different organizations. It varies from Chief Information Officer (CIOs), Chief Technical Officer (CTOs), Chief Information Officer (CIFs) etc.
Advantages of MIS
MIS can provide following benefits:
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of companies.
- Work as a planning tool.
- Provide all over picture of the company.
- Collect and analyze information of customers for future references.
- Work as a planning and communication tool.