B.Tech: Bachelor of Technology
B.Tech stands for Bachelor of technology. It is an undergraduate engineering degree awarded in many countries like India, USA, Norway, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. It is also spelled as BTech. The duration of this degree program is 3 to 4 years depending on different countries and universities. In India, it is a year undergraduate degree program which is divided into eight semesters.
Some of India’s top institutes and universities providing a bachelor of technology degree. are as follows:
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology): At present, there are 16 IITs in India which are the prestigious institutes for pursuing B.Tech in India.
- NIT (National Institute of Technology): There are around 30 NITs in India, all are prestigious institutes for pursuing B.Tech in India.
- State universities
- Other private universities
Minimum criteria to get admission in B.Tech
Candidate must have completed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Or, have a 3 years diploma in any engineering stream to get admission in Second year (Lateral entry)
Popular branches of B.Tech
A candidate who has completed the B.Tech degree in any of its branch is designated as an Engineer. Some of the popular branches of B.Tech are as follows:
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Material Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agriculture and Food Engineering
How to take admission
Government (Central and State) conducts an entrance exam to take admission in engineering colleges. Some private colleges also conduct their own entrance tests.
These are some popular entrance tests for B.Tech:
- IIT JEE: Entrance test for IITs
- AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination (For Admission in NITs)
- UPSEE: An entrance exam to take admission in UPTU
Features of B.Tech:
- It gives more emphasis on skills, i.e. it can be considered a skill-oriented course.
- It focuses on practical applications including the theoretical aspects.
- The course curriculum is regularly updated.
- Industrial visits and internship are essential parts of this course.