Instead of dwelling on your emotions while you lose your iPhone you have to find lost iphone, For that you need to take immediate actions. This could help in protecting your personal data or your device back. Firstly ensure that you turn ON Find My iPhone when you complete your initial settings on your device. This step could help you retrieve your iPhone back when you have misplaced it or someone has stolen it.
Enable Find My iPhone
Find My iPhone uses the built in GPS or location services to find your device on the map. It also allows you to lock or delete your personal information so that no one intrudes your privacy. This feature is a free part of iCloud. Hence you have to make sure you have an account in iCloud. If you have not signed up in the iCloud account, follow the steps below:-
- Go to settings
- Tap the iCloud option
- Tap on account and sign in
- Enter the iCloud username and password.
Once the iCloud account has been created, all you need is to select Find My iPhone and enable it. If you are still in doubt, follow these steps:-
- Go to settings
- Tap on iCloud
- Tap on Find My iPhone
- Move the slider to enable the feature.
You may need to tap on ‘allow’ to turn on Find My iPhone depending on the version of the iOS you are using.
How to use Find My iPhone
You can either use an iOS device or log into iCloud.com on a Mac or a PC.
Using an iOS device:-
- Locate the Find My iPhone app
- Enter your Apple ID and password
- You will come across a compass on the screen as it locates your device
- Tap on the map to zoom in closer to location of your lost device.
- You can play a sound so that if the device is near you, you will be able to retrieve it
- Or you could switch your phone to lost mode so that it locks all your data and send you the location.
- You can also erase all your data so that no one obtains it.
- Once it’s completed, you can sign out of the app.
- Visit iCloud.com on a Mac or PC
- Login using your Apple ID and password
- Click on Find My iPhone
- Your located device will be shown as green dot on the map
- Beside your lost device, click on the green dot so that it zooms into the location of your device.
- You can either play sound, activate lost mode, or wipe your data on the device
- You can also lock your iPhone so that no one uses it.
If the iPhone is turned off or offline
In case your battery has died or someone has turned it off, you can still find lost iPhone through the Send Last Location feature. If you have enabled this option you will be able to see where your phone was before it ran out of battery or turned off. Here’s how you can turn on Send Last Location:-
- Tap setting
- Tap Find My iPhone
- Enable Find My iPhone
- Set Send Last Location to ON
Protect your iPhone
Using the above tips, you could always avoid the hustle that comes with losing your iPhone. With little more of precautions from the below points you can stay on the safer side,
- Set up a difficult password preferably a pin longer than 4-digits
- Always back up your iPhone so that your data remains secured
- Enable Find My iPhone feature
- Always ensure your belongings are safe with you.